Monday, October 28, 2013

Aquarium Dreams

I like keeping fish.

I've kept a few common types of freshwater fish, mostly live-bearers like guppies and mollies. They are colourful and lively and sometimes a few babies would survive and grow into colourful and lively adults thus replenishing the tank population without me having to go to the store and get more fish.

Then I saw some Siamese fighting fish (or bettas) and fell in love with their long flowing tails and unique personalities. Bettas cannot be kept together and me being a poor student on a tight allowance at the time, would buy a betta or two and keep them in jars because the fish shop guy said they would be perfectly fine in jars with regular water changes.

Then I left to study in Toronto and it felt a little quiet in my apartment without any pets (I had an aloe vera plant but that does not count as a pet). So I decided to get a fighting fish again. This was when the internet became more accessible so I joined a couple online fish forums and read up on fighting fish and their natural habitats. Boy, was the fish shop guy wrong about keeping them in a small jar. This time, I went with a 5 gallon set-up with some gravel and kept a fighting fish, an apple snail and a couple freshwater clams.

So next year when we move to our completed BTO flat in Yishun, I told the hubby that I would like to have an aquarium there and he agreed. I've got lots of time to think about what kind of tank to set-up but I will definitely stick with freshwater fish, I don't have the time or money to deal with a saltwater tank, no matter how gorgeous they look.

Here's some info on fighting fish (bettas) to keep in mind if I end up going with a fighting fish again: The Native Betta Habitat.